Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chelsa Runs For It (Day One)


I am officially a lean, mean, running machine. Okay, more precisely, I am a not particularly lean, occasionally crabby but mostly friendly, embarrassingly stiff from one day of running but still triumphant machine. My first running class was last night, and it was great. There are many people to chat with whilst you toil, so the time goes quickly, even with the sweating and the out-of-breathness. I am a bit achy this morning, but not as much as I expected to be, so I am feeling quite tough. (More so, I suspect, than the actual run-in-the-suburban-park-for-40-minutes warrants, but I will milk even the modest victories for every drop I can.) Ian seemed to fare well in my absence -- he, the children, and the house are all still in one piece. Max spent his Mama-free hour watching Star Wars, I suspect, since he now knows the words "storm trooper", "x-wing", and "Yoda", which he did not know yesterday. Maggie was crying when I got home, but Ian said that she had been happy for 3/4 of my absence, and she seems to have forgiven my abandonment. So success on all fronts. When I eventually become so speedy that only a blur is visible to the naked eye, I will try to remember to slow down enough to say 'hi' occasionally.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you're doing this for yourself! It's probably nice to have some Chelsa-time. So, how does it work? Do you run the whole time? Do you run and walk? Do you walk until you see someone looking at you and then you run? I'm curious.

Chelsa said...

It's a twelve week class, and you gradually increase running time and decrease walking time as you go. So, for the 1st week, we run for 1 minute, then walk for 3, then repeat for an hour. Naturally, though, if you see some random park-goer looking at you all shifty-eyed, you are going to want to put yourself in gear and sprint away. That last part is not spelled out in the running program, but it just makes sense. Thanks for the well-wishes, Margaret! It is fun to be footloose (arrgh! no pun intended) and child-free for a little while each week.

Ixchelle said...

Go Chelsa go! Way to go Ian for holding down the fort!