Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ahhhh

Just now, Maggie is sleeping in my arms. A moment ago, some small noise or movement disturbed her. She did that baby startle reflex thing where all of her limbs shot straight out in every direction, and her eyes flew open. She saw my face, smiled, sighed, and closed her eyes again, utterly and securely content and peaceful. I have been a mama for awhile now, and it is unpleasantly easy to focus on the more mundane or frustrating aspects of the job. Every now and then, though, I am still struck with awed gratitude, not only for Max and Maggie, but for my own role as their mother. To be somebody whose mere presence allows them to rest securely, somebody that they associate unquestioningly with comfort and safety, is more than gratifying. I suspect that it is why I am here and what I am for.

No comments: