Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Service Is Good, But The Food Is Terrible!

Max has recently realized that he seems to always be eating goo, while Ian and I have a much greater textural variety to our meals. He has been watching us closely when we eat, holding out his hands to indicate a desire to hold our food, and mimicking us chewing, trying to throw us hints. When these measures have not proven effective, he has begun trying to steal our food (somewhat understandably). With this in mind, I have been trying to plan meals that Max can partake in, so we can give him bites of whatever we are eating and make him feel included (plus, the sooner we can give up the pureed baby meat, the happier we will all be). Max does well with big things (breadsticks, pieces of melon, etc) that he can gnaw. He still has some trouble with little things that need to be chewed, however, because he has no teeth. I thought that frozen things would be good for the gums and provide a new textural experience, so I got some fruit sorbet. I was eating it today, and Max reached for some. Here is a play-by-play of the events that followed:

Seeing me eating the sorbet, Max became interested and tried to grab it. I offered him a spoonful.

Max eagerly accepted the spoonful into his gaping maw.

I don't know if it was the frozen-ness, the texture, or the somewhat sour citrus taste, but the sorbet was not received with joy.

When offered a second spoonful, Max politely declined. He has mostly forgiven me, but I can tell that he still feels quite betrayed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is actually holding out for the good stuff...ice cream. His reaction to the sorbet is similar to his mama's reaction when her mum tried to feed her tofu hotdogs.

Chelsa said...

Yeah, except I didn't lie to Max about what he was eating!

Anonymous said...

What lie?? All I did was offer to make you a hot dog...I just didn't specify what kind of hot dog. I am innocent of the charges.