Wednesday, July 12, 2006

With A Splash Of Lemon, Please!

Ian has often accused me of being a 'water princess', a phrase he coined himself to describe my many and specific requirements for drinking water. I like only certain kinds of bottled water, cold but not with ice, in certain kinds of very clean glasses, with a squeeze of lemon or lime but without the seeds or large pieces of pulp. (Yes, Ian has a point that is difficult even for me to argue, and I love to argue and am great at it.) Now that I am breastfeeding, I have also been demanding large amounts of my special water, and frequently.
Along with a dislike of shoes and a low tolerance for heat, Max seems to have inherited my water-princessness (yep, it's a word now, so shake it off and keep reading). He has responded with indifference and bewilderment when presented with sippy cups or bottles of water, until Granny offered him some of her cold lime-water on the Fourth Of July. He guzzled the entire glass, spreading lime-water and baby drool in an alarmingly wide circumference around him. I have tried him several times since then, both with regular water and with lime or lemon flavored water, and he will go for the flavored water every time. This means that poor Ian can now be found, at all hours of the day and night, painstakingly preparing a froggy-festooned sippy cup of certain kinds of bottled water, cold but not with ice, with a squeeze of lemon or lime but without the seeds or large pieces of pulp. If they had bartenders in preschools, Ian would be a shoe-in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boy has good taste. A shoeless, cool, with slightly (natural) flavoured water for drinking world is a better world.

Jabbertrack said...

I think Ian would be comfortable if that's the last and final 'princessness' Max inherits.

Raging Wombat said...

I remember the good old days, when men were men and water was water. Why, I was happy to get a single swig of tepid, yellowish water each day in my youth.

Whippersnappers.

Ian said...

In Max's defense, Davis water is nasty.

Chelsa said...

was that directed at me or at max, justin?

Chelsa said...

also, jabbertrack, you are probably right. ian has never been comfortable letting max explore his feminine side.

Raging Wombat said...

Oh, that was just typical cranky me, hearkening back to golden times when life was abysmal. Think nothing of it.