Monday, July 10, 2006

The Seahorse Chronicles

Max and I started a Mom and Baby swimming class this morning. We are in a class with five other parent/baby teams, and it seems like it is going to be really fun. Max is the youngest baby in the class by three or four months, and I am the youngest mama:-). Max is also the most enthusiastic baby in the class, and spent most of his time in the pool shrieking with joy.

Fortunately, the class teacher does not have the goal of making an Olympic swimmer out of either Max or myself by the end of the session. The class is about teaching Max to feel comfortable in the water, about meeting other parents and babies, and about getting to spend some time in the pool during the Davis heat. (Have I mentioned that I do NOT like the heat? Because I don't.)

Max and I practiced kicking, floating, and lying back in the water. Mostly Max practiced those things, because the pool was about knee-high on me, and kicking or floating would have resulted in injury if I had tried it.

I did get to participate in the bubble-blowing, however. Max valiantly attempted to imitate me, and ate a hearty meal of chlorinated public pool water as a result.

Even this setback could not dampen his passion for his swim lessons, however. The combination of an admiring teacher, public semi-nudity, and other babies to watch seems to be a winning one. The class is two weeks long, so I will keep you posted as to how long the novelty lasts.

5 comments:

Jabbertrack said...

My mother and I took one of those and it's one of my earliest memories.

Chelsa said...

Is it a fond memory? Tell me if its not, because I don't want to traumatize Max.

Anonymous said...

Too cute! I can't wait until Joey's swim class starts!

Jabbertrack said...

oh of course it was fond!

it was a real source of confidence for my watery existance

Chelsa said...

that's good. I was afraid maybe it was where your hatred of things from the sea stems from.