Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Hands Of Chaos Jr.

When our friend Mike lived with Ian, he would often refer to "the hands of chaos", which is a force that surrounds Ian and sometimes breaks or misplaces objects that Ian interacts with. I always found this tremendously funny, probably because I didn't live with Ian at the time, and was therefore rarely the victim of this force, and also because (to the best of my knowledge) Mike did not call me the hands of anything. Recently, Max has begun to show signs that he shares Ian's appreciation for disarray. For reasons best known to himself, he cannot abide by clean loads of laundry being left neatly piled on a chair or couch. Here he is, systematically removing each item of clothing, throwing it on the floor, kicking it once or twice for good measure, and then grabbing the next item. When the whole pile is on the floor, he will lower himself to a sitting position and stir the clothes around with his hands, organizing them in a system understood by no one except (possibly) Max himself. I am trying to teach him to fold towels while he is at it, but this has so far proved less successful than I would like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Chelsa, it sounds very similar to what you did with your bedroom while you were growing up.

Chelsa said...

the hands of chaos do not just refer to messiness. they refer to things being lost or broken by outside forces (for example, once Ian took the back off a remote while playing with it absentmindedly. He then lost the back to the remote. Mike later asked him why the hands of chaos had touched the remote, and Ian couldn't remember playing with it at all). What I did with my bedroom was simply countering your matching your hangers to your clothes and creating balance in the universe thereby.

Jabbertrack said...

the hands the hands! NOOOO

he must be stopped

Interestingly on another episode of Baby Human last night they showed how a girl Max's age was taking notice that laundry gets folded... as she was sitting in front of Mommy who was clearly folding things.

I wondered how in the world they thought the baby was taking note of the folding because baby was clearly unfolding every item.

I think we may have stumbled upon a deep seeded human behavior... laundry is not supposed to be folded... perhaps for some survival purpose.

Now I need to convince my wife of this...