Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Resettling The Great White North

Max and I are leaving this afternoon for another trip to British Columbia. Max is going to be a well-traveled baby by his first birthday, and I am going to be a well-traveled mama. Ian will be staying behind, providing mattresses to the needy. I am really sad to be away from him for a whole week, and I am also a bit nervous about flying solo with Max -- there will be no Ian this time to say "Here! Hold this baby!" to when times get squirmy. As evidence of my nervousness, I had a small mental breakdown this week, and thought that Monday was August 1, and that I was therefore leaving yesterday. I spent all of Monday running around like a chicken with its head cut off, frantically trying to pack, making Ian rearrange his schedule (he was supposed to have today off, but I made him switch, thinking that he would need to be free to take me to the airport, which now, thanks to me, he is not), completely deaf to Ian's tentative attempts to express his belief that the second of August was actually a Wednesday. I didn't realize my error until yesterday morning, when I awoke believing that I had a plane to catch, only to flip on the news and hear the wrong date from the newscaster. On the plus side, I was ready early, and Ian, Max and I had the day to just hang out. On the minus side, however, I think that Ian will be using the time while I am gone to schedule in some major psychological interventions for me.

Max has been very helpful in planning and preparing for the trip. He knows I am nervous about installing the carseat alone, so he double-checked to make sure all the straps and buckles are in good working order.

He also was very helpful when it came to packing. Not only did he help me go through the clothes and toys, scattering them to the four winds several times to make them easier to sort, but he has been testing the zippers on the suitcase all morning. If more people practiced this kind of vigilance, many a vacation could be spared the unpleasantness of lost or damaged belongings.

2 comments:

Jabbertrack said...

Say hello to my mom for me, she is somewhere on Canada's tiny western coast.

Ian said...

Chelsa and Max have been gone for a few hours. Boredom has set in. House will be so empty tonight...so boreing.

Chelsa and Max come home soon!