Monday, December 18, 2006

The Real Reason That Max Is Sleeping Through The Night

Like many of his "Christmas" presents from Granny and Gramps, Max got to open this tunnel early, because Granny has a hard time waiting to see Max enjoying himself. We first got the tunnel out on Thanksgiving Day, but the combined allure of Uncle Augie's tamales, a large crowd of adoring relatives, and the three million other playthings at Granny and Gramps' house made Max ignore the tunnel, despite the fact that several adults attempted to wedge themselves into it, in order to show Max how it was done. Yesterday, however, the tunnel did not have quite so much competition for Max's affections, and proved quite popular. No, Ian is not going in the tunnel -- if you look closely, you can just see the tail end of Max, leaving Ian's lap and headed gleefully into the blue nylon depths of the tunnel.

I watched from the outside a few times, where I could see a small lump(Max's head)stretching out the walls of the tunnel at intervals as Max crawled through at breakneck pace, laughing like a maniac the whole way. Finally, curiosity got the better of me, and my camera and I peeked into one end of the tunnel. The prospect of catching and pressing buttons on the camera spurred Max on to even greater levels of delight and excitement, and he raced toward me.

Sure, my camera was ultimately eaten by my Jaws-Of-Steel son, and it was a really good camera and I liked it. Still, you often have to sacrifice your equipment, your comfort, and sometimes even your life, in order to accurately document true events as they unfold.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Granny slept through the night pretty well also after a day of fun and games with Max(-: