Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Baby Speck Update

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Ian, Max, Speck and I went to the midwife yesterday, and got to hear Speck's heartbeat for the first time. Everything looks good -- Speck's heartrate is between 145-150 beats per minute, which, according to my mom, means that Speck is a she-Speck. However, I have been reading about the whole heartrate predicting gender thing, and medical science does not view it with the same confidence. They also do not run with my mom's theory of dangling a needle and string over the pregnant belly and determining gender based on how the needle rotates, but science is sometimes quite backward. We'll see in January, when we have the ultrasound. The midwife does not seem to back up my theory that Speck is the biggest and fastest growing baby in the known universe. She claims that Speck and I are both of normal size. Who knows what conspiracies she and Speck have entered into, though? I swear, yesterday when we were listening to the heartbeat, I heard Speck saying things to the midwife over that doppler heartbeat thing. I can only assume that the midwife has been hypnotised, or brainwashed, or both, and that Speck's evil genius now has a puppet ready and willing to do his/her bidding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hold on I'm using a method that is equally as scientific as the ones you just outlined. It's a time tested device called a coin. It has 2 sides... perfect for when there are 2 options to choose from.

Heads it's a boy, tails it's a girl... and the flip...

using a 2006 U.S. penny I have determined female... it went under my desk too so that means she will have light brown hair

Chelsa said...

What does your coin say about birthweight? 'Cause frankly, I am way less worried about the flavor of the baby in question than about the rapid growth situation. I don't really want to give birth to Godzilla.

Anonymous said...

However...I believe that the needle and the string test is the only method that has extensive research to back its validity. I am not sure about the colour of the hair...but all of the heartburn that Chelsa is experiencing indicates a full head of hair, unlike Max's famous tuft.