Monday, April 17, 2006

War Paint

Okay, okay, I know we've posted a lot of Max covered in food pictures recently. I also know that just because we find Max eating solid food a constantly absorbing novelty, doesn't mean that everyone shares our obsession. If you're reading this, however, chances are that you know and like Max, so maybe you'll bear with us. We've been broadening Max's food options, and he has liked everything we've stuck in his gaping maw. Until today. My aunt was telling me yesterday how much her kids always liked peas, and Max happened to get some pureed peas in his Easter basket, so I thought we'd have a go at them. I gave Max a spoonful, he gummed it thoughtfully for a moment, and then spat it out and laughed. Just a fluke, I thought to myself, and gave him another spoonful. He spat it out and laughed. I tried again. This time he mimed swallowing, and just when I began to relax, he spat it out and laughed. Whatever. I never liked peas, either.

Here we have evidence of a bad mistake I made as a mother recently. I was feeding Max prunes (which was a whole other kind of mistake that I paid for during diaper time), and I accidentally put the bowl too close to Max's questing fists. Before I could even begin to wonder where my life had gone awry, Max had dipped both hands in the prunes and given himself prune-dyed tribal tattoos. He was very proud of the result. I had to go in the other room and curl up in a fetal position for a few minutes.


For those of you who do not have children and have spent the last two paragraphs wondering why people have babies, here is why.

5 comments:

Jabbertrack said...

AAAAAAHHAHAHAHAAH

omg that made my morning!

Man I am going to have so much dang fun! We just put the crib together last night and it's starting to feel very real for me (you know... the whole father syndrome with the not carrying a baby and all)...

Seriously that last one brings a tear to my manly eye that I will promptly suppress and bottle up like us men do.

Raging Wombat said...

Those are some great shots!!

Julia, too, hates peas. A match made in heaven ...

Anonymous said...

Aly --I actually think less of Slimer from ghostbusters and more of the creature from the black lagoon (or pureed pea lagoon, as the case may be). Part of it is the arms reaching out in what would be a sinister fashion if he weren't so dimpled and cute. Mike -- sorry to crack your many veneer.
Justin -- it's perfect. Julia and Max can bond over their shared hatred of peas, and of cruel parents photographing them eating peas, and the relationship can evolve naturally from there!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Al
Whew! I am ceratinly glad that you have the prune incident out of your systems before you come up here to Canada. Still we are very much looking forward to seeing you all very soon

Anonymous said...

These are priceless moments caught and frozen in time. Chelsa certainly has inherited her dad's photographic magic. Keep the magic coming (but not the peas).