Monday, March 27, 2006

A Tormented Soul

Max has been displaying a deep aversion recently to being put down to sleep, to play, to give his mom time to pee, etc. At first I thought that the past week of constant visitors, constantly holding him, might have given him the idea that independent play was beneath him. I was reading today, however, about separation anxiety, and I think this psychological phenomenon might be coming into play. Max is especially perturbed when he can't see where I am, and is becoming very skilled (as demonstrated in photo) at making me feel horrible when I have to put him down or leave the room. Oh, well. My hygiene, sleep, and eating aren't that important.

9 comments:

Jabbertrack said...

Dave's son (same age) swears by this motorized fish tank looking thing. It has a soft glow and "being in the womb" sounds. Deception is key! But how can Max ever feel alone with Mr. Octitunes around?

Anonymous said...

maybe that's really the problem. Max doesn't miss me, he fears octitunes! we do have a variety of glowing, musical, womb-sounding items, but our son declares himself unimpressed.

Raging Wombat said...

It is classic separation anxiety. Have you tried a blend of cajoling and threats to break him out of it? It has worked so well for Julia (who is going through a phase of it now).

Jabbertrack said...

Poor Mr. Octitunes :(

Maybe some sort of Chelsa scarecrow!

except less scare and no crow... but then all you have is Chelsa... and you are back to where you started ... hmm

my parents said they had a hard time with me too, had to take me on car rides to put me to sleep

I used to have tapes of my mom reading Dr. Seuss that I would play when I was able to use a tape recorder, and I can actually remember my anxiety so it's not like it's uncommon. Kids, especially young boys... LOVE their mothers.

He is going to be just fine I'm sure but that sure is a funny look on his face!

Anonymous said...

the tapes with my voice are actually a really good idea for naptimes. I'll have to try that. My mom used to make me tapes of her reading stories for when I went to visit my dad in Canada. also, while it might be annoying to have a baby who cries without me in the room, it'll be a fond memory when he's fourteen and thinks I suck and hates the things I like.

Anonymous said...

He's JUST a little baby for goodness sake. Pick him up. What's 18 years without peeing or bathing?

Anonymous said...

P.S. You left the "u" out of mum.

Anonymous said...

I was treanslating into californianese

Anonymous said...

I mean translating. I'm having to type one-handed, on account of the whole not putting Max down thing.