Saturday, August 09, 2008

This Little Piggy Went To Market

Hi there! I emerge from the woodwork, scarred and utterly beaten in both body and spirit, to bring you the following tragic news: Maggie has learned to open the baby gate into the kitchen, climb into the computer chair, and stand up in her high chair. I have been trying to come to terms with the fact that my life as I have always known it is essentially over.

In happier news, it was Pig Week at the preschool last week, and the whole family got in on the action. And by the whole family, I mean that Max, Maggie and I frolicked in the mud, and Ian stood waaaaayyy back on the sidelines and took pictures. Grudgingly. Max was initially wary of the mud, too, especially since it was a surprisingly cool week, weather-wise.

But my genes, at least the ones that love the mud, prevailed, and Max let the oh so dirty good times roll.

Pig Week, by the way, is a week in the summer where the school does pig and mud-related art projects, sings pig and mud-related songs, reads pig and mud-related books, and most importantly, spends the entire week in a giant mud puddle. It is not yet a nationally recognized holiday, but I'm working on it.

I was curious which way Maggie would vote on the mud question. She loves baths but hates swimming pools. She likes sand but hates grass. Her opinions, in other words, are both absolute and arbitrary. She was quite anti-mud at first, and kept asking to be picked up and making the baby sign for "shoes". (I had removed her shoes so that they wouldn't get muddy, and she loves her shoes a lot. Remind me to post pictures sometime of Maggie wearing nothing but a diaper and three pairs of shoes. It's her one really girly thing.)

By the second day of Pig Week, Maggie became intrigued. A whole gang of four-year-old girls took her under their wings, and brought her buckets and sand toys. Eventually, Maggie made herself a place on the fringes of the puddle and held court there.

What? You thought I was only there for the kids?

Good, good times. And now, I have a whole year to figure out how to trick Ian into going in the puddle for Pig Week '09. Could there be a better family photo opportunity? Of course not.

No comments: